At CAF Canada, we respect your privacy.
CAF Canada Respects Your Right to Privacy
Your privacy and security are important to us. CAF Canada respects your right to privacy and is committed to protecting the personal information you provide to us. We value your trust and recognize that maintaining that trust requests that we be open and accountable in our treatment of the personal information that you choose to share with us. CAF Canada does not trade, license, rent or sell your personal information in any manner.
CAF Canada observes the following privacy practices:
- CAF Canada collects information only for specified purposes.
- We only require that you provide the necessary amount of personal information to provide any service, as required by law or by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- We may ask you for more information about yourself to help us provide you with more personalized information and services, but in such cases, you are not obligated to provide such information.
- Personal information gathered by CAF Canada is held in the strictest confidence and is protected by industry standard best practices.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is defined as any information about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognize, identify or contact a specific individual, whether it concerns an email address, where an individual lives, or which interests, causes and organizations he or she supports. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an employee of an organization, and certain publicly available information.
The privacy principles outlined below reflect our pledge to safeguard your personal information under PIPEDA and other applicable norms.
- CAF Canada is responsible for the collection and management of personal information in compliance with PIPEDA.
2. Identifying Purposes
CAF Canada collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide tax receipts for qualified donations under the Canadian Revenue Agency regulations and guidelines.
- To allow users to create or register an account with CAF Canada.
- To administer pre-authorized recurring donations.
- To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
- To communicate directly with users, including through CAF Canada service news and updates, charitable promotions, charitable stories we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
- To provide client support and help.
- In order to process and facilitate project funding requests, when it is necessary for CAF Canada to share your personal information with one of its affiliates within the CAF Global Alliance, such as CAF America to administer your request, all members of the CAF Global Alliance will abide by the same privacy standards regarding your personal information. This sharing of information would be for the sole purpose of processing and administering project funding requests and fund accounts.
3. Consent to use your personal information
- CAF Canada collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
- We will not, as a condition of the supply of our service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- A user may withdraw his or her consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Privacy Official of CAF Canada as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
- CAF Canada may send email communication to subscribers on our email list. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
4. Limiting Collection
CAF Canada limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information CAF Canada collects can be summarized as follows:
i. Personal Information provided to CAF Canada:
CAF Canada collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with our online portals (CAF Canada and Diaspora Gives Bangladesh websites) or otherwise with us, including the following:
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
- Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information); and
- Donation history (such as amount and project);
- Tax receipt information; and
- Account username and password information.
ii. Non-Personal Information:
When visitors access the secure section of our sites, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider.
CAF Canada may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, what times of the day have the heaviest traffic, and which type of charity receives the most gifts.
This information, collected in the aggregate, allows CAF Canada to better serve philanthropists and nonprofit communities. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and CAF Canada does not use any of this information to identify individuals.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- CAF Canada does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- CAF Canada does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- CAF Canada may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- CAF Canada may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability”.
- CAF Canada reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, transfer, conveyance or financing of all or any portion of CAF Canada in order for you to continue to receive the same services from the third party.
- CAF Canada retains personal information as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
CAF Canada takes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. CAF Canada depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected.
7. Safeguards – How we protect information
We implement security measures designed to protect your information from unauthorized access. Donor accounts are protected by your account password and we urge you to take steps to keep your personal information safe by not disclosing your password and by logging out of your account after each use.
We further protect your information from potential security breaches by implementing certain technological security measures including encryption, firewalls and secure socket layer technology. However, these measures do not guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software. By using our sites, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to assume these risks.
- CAF Canada makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
- All CAF Canada staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information.
- With respect to the handling of credit card information, CAF Canada adheres to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
- CAF Canada has thorough security standards to protect our systems and your personal information against unauthorized access and use. This includes the security protections required by PCI compliance as well as specific procedures to keep your donation information secure and private.
8. Your Rights regarding the use of your personal information
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information, the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information, the right to erasure (“right to be forgotten”) or the right to request the portability of your personal information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us by sending an email to the CAF Canada Privacy Officer at email@example.com.
Links to other websites:
CAF Canada strives to provide additional information and resources of interest through links to other websites, documents or applications. Any of these made available through CAF Canada or a member of the CAF Global Alliance, are considered to be the responsibility of the sites being visited and not any member of CAF. As such, CAF Canada is not responsible for the privacy practices employed by those websites or the information or content they contain.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
As of June 2014, CASL requires new regulations to be followed for electronic communications. Where CASL applies to CAF Canada’s communications with individuals, CAF Canada is committed to complying with CASL and in particular the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.
Attention Privacy Officer
401 Bay Street, Suite 1600
Toronto, ON M5H 2Y4
Charitable Registration No. 801966334RR0001